As we have made aware on a number of occasions the club is opening up membership to junior members and for this we are putting a number of various sessions in place over the coming season. Membership at a junior level will be open to all those under-19 with the only requirements being the ability to cycle a bicycle independently and swim 1 length of a 25m pool. The club understand that costs for starting up in triathlon with the gear and bicycle equipment can be significant and in order to help alleviate this we will be offering free membership for the season to any one who wishes to join the club who is already a member of a swimming, cycling or running club.
Junior membership to the triathlon club is free and you just need to get a licence from Triathlon Ireland. All you need to to is highlight the name of the any other club you are involved with when completing the form. Any issues or questions contact Paul at (086) 1950330.
For our Junior section we work within the Safeguarding framework within Triathlon Ireland. The Club Safeguarding statement is available to download by clicking on the following link:
- Nenagh Triathlon Club Safeguard Statement 2017-2018
- TI / Nenagh Triathlon Club Safeguard Statement 2018
- TI / Nenagh Triathlon Club Safeguard Risk Assessment 2018
Nenagh Triathlon Club – Joining
The Nenagh Triathlon Club cater for all levels of competitor, from beginner to elite athletes. For those of you who have always dreamed about finishing a triathlon, now is as good a time as any to start training.
If you want to take the plunge and join Nenagh Triathlon Club just fill out a membership form and get it back to any member of the committee.
If you have any questions you can email email@example.com or just ask a committee member at any of the training sessions!:
Junior members who join would be expected to join Triathlon Ireland in order to be covered for training sessions and events and more details of these can be seen below. Note that Parents must first register as a site user in order to purchase a Junior Race Licence.
Junior Race Licence (17-19yrs): €20
Youth Licence (15-16yrs): €10
Suitable for those who intend to race a number of times during the season. You receive a level of personal accident cover, are insured for training with a club and to participate in Triathlon Ireland sanctioned events, without paying a one day licence fee.
Kid’s Tri Licence (0-14yrs): €5
Weekly training Sessions:
The club offers a number of sessions during the week that are Junior friendly, some of which are open to all junior members and others for older juniors (>16 years).
Morning Swim: 6:30am
Lane 1: Older juniors
|Spinning / Turbo training:
7pm: Older juniors
|Thursday||Morning Swim: 6:30am
Lane 1: Older juniors
|Run intervals: 7pm
|Saturday||Junior skills: 12.30pm
Nenagh CBS (every 2nd weekend)
|Sunday||Sunday cycle: 10am
Nenagh Leisure centre
Below is an outline of the sessions on offer for each of the disciplines.
- Local Swimming club: Nenagh Neptune Swimming club
- Nenagh Leisure Centre: General and private swimming lessons
- Tuesday 6.30-7.30am: Lane swimming
- Thursday 6.30-7.30am: Lane swimming
The triathlon club will not be directly providing any swimming lessons or coaching but there are a number of options available in the local area.
- The local swimming club is Nenagh Neptune swimming club and we would strongly encourage anyone wishing to take part in triathlon to consider joining this club at some stage in the future to improve their swimming ability.
- A number of swimming classes are on offer during the week in Nenagh Leisure centre and this includes coached lane swimming on Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings. To find out more information on this contact Nenagh Leisure Centre at 067-31788.
- A number of the lifeguards in the leisure centre offer private swimming lessons for both beginners and those wishing to improve their strokes. To find out more information on this contact Nenagh Leisure Centre at 067-31788.
- Older juniors who have previously been a member of a swimming club are welcome to attend the morning swim sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6.30am. There is a mix of swimming abilities in attendance from novice swimmers to Super Series level competitors. There are 3 lanes to choose from and the usual distance covered in this session is 1.5 – 3k.
Over the course of the year the triathlon club will run a number of fun junior triathlons that will incorporate a short swim as part of the event.
- Tuesday 7pm (weekly): Spinning / Turbo training: Nenagh Leisure Centre
- Saturday 12.30pm (every 2 weeks): Junior skills cycle: Nenagh CBS
- Sunday 10.00am (weekly): Sunday Cycle: Nenagh Leisure Centre
The cycling club component of Nenagh triathlon club has a junior club and the junior triathlon club cycling sessions will be in conjunction with these sessions.
- Spinning / Turbo training will take place in the leisure centre and is open to all older junior members who have a working racing bike that can be connected to a turbo trainer or alternatively can use one of the spinning bikes on offer (limited number). The club have a number of spare turbo trainers that can be borrowed for the session but these are on first come first served basis. The turbo session is also an ideal way to improve cycling and offers the ability to train at your own pace in an indoor setting.
- For older junior cyclists the main club cycle of the week takes place on Sunday morning. These cycles are split into 2 groups on the road and cover from 20-40k with a number of turn-off points available. These sessions are only suitable for older and experienced junior cyclists.
- The main junior cycle session takes place every 2nd weekend in Nenagh CBS. It provides a mix of cycling skills, and fitness training and has a run element at the end of each session so that members can get used to running after a cycling session.
Over the course of the season the club will also run a junior time trial and junior hill time trial league. Additionally there will be a number of duathlons (run-bike-run) and triathlons (swim-bike-run) that will have a junior element incorporated.
- Local Running club: Nenagh Olympic
- Thursday 7pm: Interval session: Nenagh College
- Saturday 12.30pm (every 2 weeks): Junior triathlon session: Nenagh CBS
As with the swimming, the triathlon club will not be directly providing any specific running sessions or coaching but there are a number of options available in the local area.
- The local running club is Nenagh Olympic and we would strongly encourage anyone wishing to take part in triathlon to consider joining this club at some stage in the future to improve their running ability.
- Older juniors are welcome to attend the main running session that takes place every Thursday starting in Nenagh College. There are 2 sets based on ability and cover between 6-12k.
- At the end of the Junior triathlon session there will be a small running session carried out to get used to running after a cycle so if you wish to take part in this bring a pair of runners in addition to cycling shoes.
Over the course of the season the club will also run a 3k-5k running series and a number of practice mixed brick (bike-run) sessions.
Additionally there will be a number of fun junior duathlons (run-bike-run) and junior triathlons (swim-bike-run) races.
- Nenagh triathlon club actively encourage junior members to take part in any Triathlon Ireland junior events on the season calendar. The events for the coming season can be found on the Triathlon Ireland website at www.triathlonireland.com
- The club will organise a number of junior duathlon and junior triathlon events over the course of the season and these will be advertised on the club website closer to the dates.
- Older juniors (>16 years) will be able to take part in our own National series “North Tipp Sprint” triathlon that takes place in Nenagh Leisure centre in April. The distance of this triathlon is standard sprint distance 750m-10k-5k.
- The Nenagh Lions club run their annual “Try a tri” triathlon in early summer and this event is open to any Junior member that is at a level to be able to complete the 250m-10k-3k distance.
- The club organise “Try a tri 2” over the same course for the original “Try a tri” at the end of the summer holidays and there is a Junior component to this event.
The Junior club has only been made possible through the help and dedication of a number of the club committee and general members. We are always on the look-out for help and so if you wish to lend a hand then contact a member of the club committee.
And if you have a son or daughter that you wish to sign-up to the club then why not also consider joining the club yourself, it is never too late to start!!!!!
If you require any information on any aspect of the Junior club or individual sessions then contact the club at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring Paul at (086) 1950330.