There are just 4 more weeks left to the 2014 An Post Rás.
The Rás, for those that are unfamiliar with it, is an annual, eight-day, stage race around Ireland. The race is Ireland’s number one cycling event and has a worldwide reputation of being a gruelling challenge in the elite, international calendar. Teams of five riders representing Continental Teams, Countries, Counties and Regions will contest the race. What makes this year’s Rás all the more interesing is the fact that our club will be represented on the start line!
The Team: The Nenagh CC Rás team consists of 5 riders and 4 on the support team. This team of 9 will be on the road from May 18th – 25th. Local club members Shane Scully and Gary Scully are part of the cycling team, while Kenneth Kennedy and Kevin Sherlock are part of the support team. Alan Loftus, Simon Ryan and Damien Roche are the three others on the racing team.
Goals: the team have very modest goals at this race. It is an achievement in itself for amateurs to complete the Rás inside the time limits on each stage so don’t be expecting any race wins! If we can get our full team through the 8 days then that would be great and if one or two of the lads are on form then a county prize might be possible on some stages.
Are the team ready? not quite. There are still plenty of miles to be cycled on the bike in order to get up to speed. There are also some big prep races coming up in the shape of the Shay Elliot and the Kanturk 3 Day. In 3 weeks time we should see the team coming into good form. There are likely to be 3 Rás newbies in the squad; the question is – can you ever be ready for your first tilt at something this tough? It will be a shock to the system no matter what for the team but it’s how we react to that shock that counts.
It is not only the cyclists fitness that needs to be ready. There are also financial and logistical worries to overcome over the next few weeks. If some of our team are getting a little bit grouchier than usual over the next few weeks you know why! Everything will be fine in the end and there will be a drinking session to beat all drinking sessions to celebrate afterwards!!
Rás Fundraising: the team have been greatly encouraged by the level of support our fellow club members have shown. Whether it was a donation, or helping out at/taking part in our Nenagh Summer League it is all very much appreciated.
As always with these types of endeavours, we still have a little more money to raise. We are close but not close enough! Helping out with some of the things below would be great.
- Sponsorship cards – you could take a card and fill it out for us. We also hope to fund a lot of money for the pre-school autism unit in Nenagh through this activity. Get in contact with Gary or Shane if you think you could help out with this. Don’t worry we won’t be forcing anyone to take a card. If you feel like taking a card then you contact us.
- Sponsorship partner: often amateur teams will race the Rás for a nominated charity. Shane was working in the boys national school recently and was asked to consider fundraising for the school, so that is what they are going to do. They will be racing the Rás on behalf of the school and hope to have a sizeable cheque to present the school after the Rás >> view sponsor website
- Attend the Nenagh Summer League – Thursdays at 7:00pm
- Shop Sponsor – perhaps you own a shop or know someone that does that might be able to help out with basic things like water, coke, petrol. Over an 8 day period of racing the price of little things like that can really add up!
- Lough Derg Sprint & Nenagh Run Fest – we have two big races coming to town so sign up for them.
- Individual donation: via button below.