Club Notes

One more week of official club training left. After next Sunday, the club will go into hibernation for a few weeks and wake up in October. For most, training will continue but in a more informal way. Some will keep racing into September and some have plans to target the cross country season so no doubt there will be some runs going ahead. Our cyclists will probably be heading off for easy coffee stop spins throughout September. Notices will be placed on our Facebook page or you can stay up to date via Viber too.

Training: Monday running – there is a timed 5km run on today starting at 6:30 from the vocational school. There will be a two mile warm-up done before the start. All welcome.

Nenagh Summer League – the last race of the season takes place this Thursday. There is free entry for this!

Weekend Racing: there were plenty of club members in racing action this weekend, with plenty of good results to celebrate.

Dublin Ironman 70.3: over 2500 competitors entered the inaugural Dublin Half Ironman event. The club was represented at this race by Greg Starr, Anthony Sherlock, Cian McCormack, PJ Brett, and Denny Ryan’s relay team. Cian finished in a time of 5:35. PJ finished in a time of 5:52. Anthony finished in a time of 6:20. Greg finished in a time of 8:12. Also competing was Nenagh CC member Ronan Costelloe who finished in a time of 5:10. I am sure one of them will send us in a race report soon enough!!

Cobh Jailbreak Triathlon: John Ryan took part in this sprint distance triathlon down in Cork on Saturday. John finished in a time of 1:24. Just as impressive was the speed he drove home in order to go for pints!


Omey Dash Triathlon: Stephen Greene and Mark Crawford compete in this sprint distance triathlon in Connemara over the weekend. The two lads did great finishing in 6th and 7th overall. Nice work!

Omagh 3 Day: our ladies cycling team were in action once again this weekend up in Omagh. The two Sinéads were in the prizes at this. They have already place a full report online so take a read of it >> here

Fermoy: Mike Browne and Brian O’Neill were in racing action for the club down in Cork on Sunday. Mike took part in the A3 race and was very active throughout the race, getting himself into multiple breakaways. None of these breaks stayed away however so it came down to a mass sprint finish in which Mike took the safe option of rolling in at the back of the bunch. In the A4 race Brian O’Neill went in search, once again, of the elusive point that would secure promotion to A3. It wasn’t to be on this occasion either as Brian missed out in the final sprint to the line.

Ballinrobe 2 Day: Shane and Kenneth took part in this combined A1, A2, A3 race in Ballinrobe over the weekend. This was Shane’s 5th stage race of the year and Kenneth’s 4th but this was Kenneth’s first time in with the A1 riders so it would be interesting to see how he would perform. Both are planning on doing the rás next year so competing well in these stage events is a must.

Day 1: this day turned out to be a horrible day on the bike. It rained almost from start to finish, so the lads had to battle floods and a very strong breeze throughout. Out of the 76 entrants only 20 remained in the main bunch at the finish line. That shows you how tough a day it was. The race saw countless breakaway attempts with Kenneth and Shane involved in a few, but each time they were reeled in. With 20km to go the bunch started to tire a little. Shane broke away solo for 3km but was reeled back in. Another km down the road and Shane broke again. After a few km he was joined by 3 others and they were gone. The gap started to increase but the finish line was closing in fast. In the end, Shane finished 4th on the stage with a 44 second gap back to the depleted peloton. Kenneth was one of the few remaining in the peloton so you couldn’t have had a better start for the team.

Day 2: it didn’t take long for disaster to strike on day 2. The day start with a flat 7.4km time trial. Kenneth was only using a road bike so his plan was to save energy for the afternoon’s stage where he might have had to do some work for Shane. That wasn’t to be as Shane had a mechanical issue with his bike on the start line and ended up losing 45 seconds before finally getting started. Disaster! Both finished well down the pecking order in the final TT results. That put the two lads outside the top 20 and there wasn’t much to fight for now bar another good stage performance.

The final stage was an uneventful one with the yellow jersey team of Aquablue controlling things at the front. The stage was a little too flat, easy and slow for any damage to be done. The two lads found it easy going in the bunch. Shane made one last bid for glory with 10k  to go but couldn’t bridge a 40 second gap to the breakaway duo up front. He was swallowed up with 4km to go and both he and Kenneth had to settle for a bunch finish and final overall positions of 21st and 24th. It was a decent result for the two lads but it was another case of what could have been.

Comments are closed.