That was a tough week to be outdoors. Just when everyone was looking for a bit of good weather to kick start our 2015 training we get storms and snow. Not good.
Surely next week can’t get any worse?!
Training: once again we have the usual training sessions in store for ye all. Surely I don’t need to list them all out at this stage??? Check out our training time table if you have forgotten >> training timetable. By the way, just because a training session is not mentioned in the club notes, it doesn’t mean that the training session is not on. They are always on, unless told otherwise.
Nenagh CC Juniors: training takes place on Tuesday at 6:00 (turbo) in the running complex. There is also a training session for our younger juniors at 2:30pm on Saturday in the CBS. Our older juniors are asked to target the upcoming Winter Warriors Cup: race 2 which takes place on Saturday. Pull out from Nenagh at 9:00am. Start is in Toomevara at 10:15.
Winter Warriors Cup – Race 2: takes place this coming Saturday. We will meet at 9:00am at the pool and cycle out to Moneygall and back to the start line for a 10:15 race start time. We will split into 4 groups and each group will get a handicap. The handicaps will be much larger for each group this time, so it will be possible to stay away for the whole race. Ideally we will be looking for each group to come together somewhere between Toom and Nenagh.
This ‘race’ is good prep for the start of the racing season which is only 4 weeks away.
Club Events: following a recent committee meeting the club have decided to organise the following events in 2015. Keep these events in mind when planning your year.
- North Tipp Sprint – this is a pool based sprint triathlon that will take place in the Nenagh swimming pool in early April.
- Lough Derg Sprint – this is an open water sprint triathlon that will probably take place once again in Dromineer in June.
- Dromineer aquathons / duathlons / triathlons – these are club training events that take place from February onwards.
- Youth Race – for u/12s, u/14s and u/16s will take place in March near Toomevara.
- Nenagh Summer League – will start up again on Thursday evenings at the start of April.
- Junior Summer League – this is a 6 race series for our junior club members that takes place between Five Alley – Birdhill
- Mizen to Malin – we hope to give everyone in the cycling club something big to train for this summer. Plans are being put in place to cycle from Mizen to Malin over 3 days some time in late July / early August. Each day, cyclists will have to cycle almost around 150 miles. We hope to take a scenic route up to Malin, cycling by the coast where possible. This will make it tougher but we want it to be a bit of a challenge. A proposed route is below but this could easily change over the coming months (stretching to 4 days could be an option if people think it is too much or we could take a more direct route and cut off 20 miles per day). This would translate into between 8 and 9 hours of cycling a day with 2 food stops per day. We will provide more details in the coming weeks / months. Until then get stuck into your training and let a committee member know if you would be interested (you don’t need to fully commit yet obviously).
- Day 1: Mizen – Kenmare – Killarney – Tralee – Listowel – Tarbert – Kilrush – Lahinch = 253km / 158 miles
- Day 2: Lahinch – Galway – Oughterard – Westport – Castlebar – Ballina = 234km / 146 miles
- Day 3: Ballina – Sligo – Donegal – Letterkenny – Malin Head = 243 km / 152 miles
- Look out for our 5k Run Series and our Time Trial League too.