Turbo: this evening in the running complex from 6 till 8:30. Main adult session is from 7:30 to 8:30. If juniors want to book a turbo then text Shane 0872605743. If he doesn’t reply by text there are probably none left. Remember to bring the correct skewer type for your back wheel. Also, bring water and a towel.
Swimming: it looks like the pool will be opening at 7:00 am from Monday to Friday. The morning time, before work, is the perfect time to fit in your swim for the day. We already have two morning swims on Tuesday and Thursday. It is likely that we will be starting a Monday and Friday swim from 7:00 – 8:00am (starting this Friday). Beginner friendly swim takes place on Wednesday evenings at 8:00pm. In total, that will make it 5 club swims a week; you have no excuses for not becoming a fish in the water next year!
Improving your swimming takes a lot of time and commitment. Each week you will get a little bit better but it will take months and years of work before you are truly swimming well. Therefore, you need to take a long term view of these things. With that in mind consider buying a long term pool membership – it makes financial sense in the long run.
Nenagh CC Cycling
- Seniors: things are going well so far with the club. Training sessions are well attended and motivation to improve is high. We now have 3 official club training cycles a week – Tuesday Turbo, Saturday and Sunday long cycles with the odd interval thrown in. Try and target 3 each week. Consistency is important. Anthony Walsh has an interesting article on Sticky Bottle about the need to stay in touch with tougher training in winter >> Coaching: No need to fear high intensity winter training, even intervals
- Juniors: there are two official junior training sessions this week. 1st up is turbo training this evening at 6:00pm in the running complex. Next up is a long spin for our older racing cyclists on Thursday at 2:00pm (bring food + drink). There is no Saturday training this weekend but our older juniors can jump in with the senior cyclists at 9:00am at the Abbey Court Hotel.
- Race: at our recent committee meeting the club agreed to look into organising a youth cycle race in Nenagh next year. Hopefully over the next few months we can make this a reality. There will also be a Christmas fun race for our senior cyclists in what is provisionally (and jokingly) being called the Winter Warriors Cup.
Training timetable: a fully updated club training time table is now available on our website. Click the training button in the top navigation bar and have a look. Pick out the training sessions that suit and stick to them.
Club Membership: plenty of people have already paid up at this stage and we thank ye all for that. For the rest of you, try and hunt down Maeve Ryan when you can and pay her.
- Dublin City Marathon: all eyes were focused on Dublin this Bank Holiday Monday as there was a sizable Nenagh contingent taking part in the marathon. The windy conditions made the race quite tough and everyone suffered quite badly towards the end of the run. First home for the club in a time of 2:50 was Shane Scully. Next home was Keith Butler 2:59, Andy McLoughlin 3:01, Ger Kirby 3:07, Eoin Buckley 3:21, David Sheahan 3:24, Matty Kennedy 3:35 and Will Rymer 4:25. Great stuff out of everyone. I know not everyone is happy with their time but in running/cycling/triathlon we all have plenty of good days and bad days. Chalk it down as just one of those days and move on. It is still a good achievement to run a marathon and there are plenty of more races coming up to put in the performances you believe you are capable of.
- Women’s Mini Marathon Limerick: well done to Mary Gavin at this 5 mile race. Mary did very well and managed to get into the top 10 in what was a quality entry field.
Photos: if any of the many Nenagh Tri Club members who were up supporting at the marathon have any photos send them to email@example.com. Thanks.
Andy has two big achievements to brag about!
Will Rymer has his proof