** Update: the club notes have been updated a number of times since this morning so re-read – we have added in a wedding invite, a new Ironman finisher and a Mizen to Malin in two days cycle – God it’s been a busy weekend!! Is there anything else we have forgotten??
We are now into our last month of training. There are no more Wednesday evening club events left and the Nenagh Summer League will be finishing up this week. In preparation for the End of Year Activities we will adjust the training time table slightly to get people ready.
Training today: Limerick Summer League at 7:00pm or some go out with the Wheelers at 6:00pm from Moynans.
Club events this week
- Nenagh Summer League: starts at 7:00 at Gooig – last race of the season so support it.
End of Year Cycle/Swim: there is still some debate going on about the dates for this. Nothing is set in stone as of today. We will hope to settle on a final date during the week. The plan for each day will be placed on the website.
- Finishers prize: what we do know is that there will be a finishers prize for everyone that finishes either the swim or cycle.
Nenagh CC Juniors: the final Thursday training session takes place this week. After that all our juniors will be on a summer break – you can choose to lock the bike up in the garage for a few weeks or you can do your own training. Our older juniors can also join in with our senior cyclists on the Saturday morning spin. We expect a lot of our juniors to attempt the End of Year Cycle (you won’t be cycling the full distance).
Wedding Invite: as most people in the club already know, there is another important club wedding coming up next week. Johnny Meagher and Mary Donnellan are tying the knot in Birr next Saturday. They are inviting everyone in the club out to the afters, so if you are free next Saturday then make an appearance.
- Loughrea Triathlon: the latest National Series race took place in Loughrea on Saturday. The club were represented at this by Darren Dunne, John Meagher and Paul Dillon. Darren continued his fine form by taking victory in a time of 1:01:12. This was a great performance by Darren and he beat some good triathletes by a big margin on the day. Johnny and Paul finished together in 222nd and 223rd
- Shadowman Half Ironman: two club members made their half Ironman debuts at this race in Athlone on Sunday. Ramon Rodriquez and Geraldine Kyne have been training very hard all year for this race. Ramon’s Overall Time was: 6:07:04 and that was good enough for 188th place overall. Geraldine Kyne’s finished very close to Ramon in a time of 6:07:43. Hopefully we can get a report from one of them. Great stuff!
** Update on Shadowman from Derek Gilmartin – There were more than just 2 club members at the Shadowman on Sunday. Below is a quick report from Derek Gilmartin who becomes only the 8th person to finish an Ironman for the club.
“OK it may not come with the IM endorsement but the distances and efforts needed to get around are no different. There were four Nenagh participants last Sunday in Athlone taking on SHADOWMAN half and full IM distance triathlons. Conditions were far from ideal with blustery winds and frequent rain showers. The familiar sun shine we had all experienced in recent weeks was no where to be seen throughout the day until late in the afternoon (once all the hard work on the bike was done!)
There were three Nenagh competitors for the half IM distance triathlon in a field of 255. Ramon Rodriguez [6.07.04/pos.188]; Geraldine Kyne [6.07.43/pos.190] and JP Gilmartin who was very unlucky to pick up a puncture less than 10k from T2 but managed to get it sorted and was into a steady run before he knew it [6.27.32/pos.216].
Derek Gilmartin was the only Nenagh competitor for the full IM distance triathlon in a small field of just 28. Given the level of training committed for such an event he was very pleased to finish but with a solid enough time and placing [12.37.39/pos.8]. JP and Derek’s brother in law Richie Paul also took part in the half IM distance [6.36.41/pos.228].
To the lads and ladies embarking on IRONMAN Kalmar in Sweden in a couple of weeks time (ok, this might sound cheesy but recall this when in a dark place). Remember that you’ve got this persistence and toughness and this is what you’ve trained for. This is the challenge and this is good.”
- Rock n Roll Half Marathon: Martin Farrell took part in this race. Martin finished in a time of 2:04.
- Muck-off: plenty of club members took part in this local race on Sunday.
- Mizen to Malin: Eoin Woolley was a busy man this weekend. He cycled from Mizen to Malin in two days, which is a great achievement for Eoin. Eoin did this cycle for charity – you can still donate by >> clicking here. Eoin cycled 300k+ in about 12 hrs in shite weather on Day 1 and had to repeat that on day 2.